On Thursday, 24th August 2017, a total of 170 IDEA and NTUC Future-U members were invited to attend a career talk at the NTUC Center. Speakers Stephen Krempl and Lau Kok Yin shared invaluable strategies for those looking to be valued more at work, or to ace that next interview.
Here’re some of the key takeaways of the event:
On Being Recognised at Work – Stephen Krempl
- Make a decision: You need to first decide that you want to be great at your role
- Know the rules of the game: Understand operating boundaries and what’s valued within the organisation
- Be sensitive to the needs of others: Be ready to leverage key opportunities to add value to others in need
On Acing Interviews – Lau Kok Yin
- Preparation is key: Putting in time and effort in creating and practicing talking points is necessary to be clear, concise and compelling to the interviewer
- Understand what the interviewer looks for: 1) Technical competencies that help you do the job well, 2) people skills that help you work with others, 3) and cultural fit with the organisation
- Framing yourself: Decide how you want the interviewer to remember you and organise your content in a way that does so.
Subscribe to our newsletter for alerts on upcoming Ideation events!
We look forward to seeing you at our next event in September! Event details will be shared with you soon.